Sunday 17 August 2014

Maintenance Update (chairs, weights, fire, extra Monday)

Wednesday 13th
Gil & Bruce were there first.  2807 was in service, so there was little for us to do.  Gil disappeared after a cuppa.

We discussed what might be possible on Monday, and what might not.  Gil has made a list (in the TPO) of things to be worked on on Monday.

I painted the bottoms of the rail chairs, and finished off one that is an order (for a Mike who lives in Bristol).  Bruce went in search of a spring for the steam heating relief valve (several had been bought previously, I believe).

Bruce & I examined the wheel weights on the ex-Barry 2874 in the yard, and came to the conclusion that it would be close to impossible for a weight to fall out; and clearly weights are inserted to balance individual wheels; hence a "missing one" is simply where no weight was needed in the first place!  So the issue raised by a certain GWSR driver about one missing on 2807 is a load of ….… and allegedly, regarding the "black oil" in the tender axleboxes, it was suggested that we change the driver rather than the oil.  ;-))

Friday 15th
One new issue logged:
29 : Y-splitter isolation cock to lube coil on top of fountain back nut leaking.
{This is actually a repeat of issue 3}

I popped down to check on the fire in 2807.  Dan had done a splendid job in the morning!  However, there was no sign of a fireman or fire lighter for the 42xx.  So, I "volunteered" to light that. since I was there!  It was already quite hot, but I had to clamber through the fire hole and into the firebox to scrape out the ash & clinker.  You have to lift out a couple of fire bars to do this, then scrape the ash into the ashpan.  Carrying out the standard pre-light-up checks, I discovered that the nuts on four of the mud-hole doors were able to be undone by hand; not good, because they could (in theory) work loose and drop off.  So, I nipped those up, and lit a small fire.  Just enough to keep her warm over night.

Saturday 16th
As today was cancelled, I expected to be alone … and I was.

Yesterday's fireman (who should have been lighting up 4270) thanked me for doing his job for him - he had been on hols, and forgot that he should have been putting in a warming fire!

2807 was chuffing up & down, sounding wonderful.  There is a real 'spit' to the vacuum relief valve as she coasts into Todders station (must be the over-efficient vacuum pump!).

I slapped some paint on the tops of the rail chairs, and topped up the stock of boot scrapers in the two cafes.  I also moved our spark arrester into an obvious position, as this is required to be fitted before toddling off to Yorkshire.

Unfortunately, I shall not be able to join the gang on Monday.  The weather looks OK; though it could rain about lunchtime.  Hopefully, someone will let us know how they get on.

TTFN


Roger

No comments: